Friday, July 3, 2009

trip of a lifetime and back to life

Ben and I just returned from our 7th Anniversary trip. I'm so lucky to have married a pilot, and traveling is a lot different for me than it is for a lot of people. And because of that, Ben and I headed off to Paris on Sunday to celebrate our wedding anniversary coming up. We enjoyed seeing sites both of us had never seen, and it was an excellent time for us to be together and relax. Here is my top five for the trip... in no particular order.
Relaxing on a boat tour of the Seine River. It was beautiful to float down and see the old amazing buildings from the river. You could see Nortre Dame, Hotel DeVille, Louvre, Eiffel Tower. We did this into the evening, so we watched the sun set and all the lights of the city start to twinkle. It was a long day... who knew the sun didn't set in paris till well after 10:30 pm.. the next day we slept in till 11am.. jetlag and sightseeing just got the best of us. loved loved the Eifell Tower. We took the stairs to the second floor. It was an incredible view... and even better was watching it light up in the sky at night. We even caught the five minutes of twinkling lights that come on at the top of every hour. wow... soaking my feet in the fountains at the Louvre was probably the most relaxing. It really was surreal being there in front of the big glass pyramid and just basking in the sunshine. I loved people watching, although they were mostly tourists, it was fun to just observe what was going on.We found a bench to eat our dinner on one night.. it happened to be a Subway sandwhich this night, but we did eat lots of baguettes and chocolate croissants.. and those long skinny ham and cheese sandwiches. ... it was so nice not to have kids with us, and to sit and linger when and where we wanted to. It would have been absolutely crazy with kids.. we'll wait till Noah is lots older to take him to Europe!! And the Sacre Couer.. I loved loved this old church. It's set on a HUGE hill in Paris. From the church you can see out over the city. We could walk to this part of Paris from our hotel and actually went back here the last day to see it again.. and to pick up the artsy souveneers near the church. What a great way to celebrate our anniversary.... I can't wait until the next time we can travel. We never could have done it without the help back home with the kids... and they were even sick while we were gone.. Noah had the yucky stomache sickness and now an earache.. and Leah's got the bug last night and today. I know moms have to do a lot of really gross jobs, but dealing with the upchucks is the farthest down on my list.. I really can't handle it. Life is good and I've been rejuvinated.

13 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow! Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Robinson Family said...

I am glad you got to take a trip together, what fun! I am looking forward to that in a few weeks! I hope things are going well. We miss you in the ward!

Bre said...

Oh Camille, I am so jealous, but so happy for you guys! It just sounds do wonderful to me! I cant wait to go there someday:) It all sounds so lovely! You look great btw!

Liesel Marsing said...

I'm so glad you guys were able to have such an amazing trip! You truly are lucky to have the travel benefits you do. I can only imagine all the other fun places you'll get to go! I'm so jealous.

alliSUN said...

aw! jealousy! I've always wanted to go the the louve! thats like every art kid's dream! lol. That is so amazing! I hope I can go someday!

Jenny said...

I am so JEALOUS!!!

Missy W. said...

I'm so glad you were able to get away for some fun kid-free vacation time. Lucky ducks!

Andy Wegener said...

You forgot to mention the first class part of the flight... my personal favorite!

Hawks Family said...

How fun for you two to get away to such a wonderful and romantic place for your anniversary! Looks like you had a wonderful time.

Becky said...

Looks like you guys had a grand time! I'm totally jealous of the location of the trip and being "child free" for a few days...both sound rather nice!

Iliana said...

No way! Wow, who knew our lives were so different :) Sounds amazing and well deserved.

Claire said...

wow that's so awesome! I can't help but be just a teeny bit jealous :) Happy 7th! Wow!! Time flies! We're coming on ours too! Nice to go without your kids. I bet you missed them though. We're planning one like that for our 10th hopefully! Glad you got to go!

K said...

What a trip! I've always wanted to go to Paris. How lucky to be able to steal some time away:)